Dec 31, 2010

Let's pretend nothing's wrong !

Do me a favour. For the rest of this post forget that a 22 year old guy is writing this . Just assume this post is ananoymous . If possible also assume that the author is very smart . Done ?

Now how many of you know how to use a bank account  ?  No ,I don't mean using your ATM or making online payments. Do you actually know how to use the bank for transactions . I don't. My dad has been working in Canara Bank for over 25 years now and yet every time I need to pay a challan , I need to ask someone which one is the challan form ,the blue one or the green one . But  I can type 100 words per minute when sending out messages from my cellphone.  Now don't look at me like I am the only one. I know most of you out there are in the same boat as I am.

I committed a grave mistake once. Sometime during 2009, I was in Bangalore and my dad took me out to a mall. Yeah, Just the two of us .  I saw a Coffee Day and said  Dad,lets have coffee . Dad seemed pleased , maybe he was glad that his 20 year old son did not want anything fancy and opted for  coffee. He received the shock of his life when he saw Cafe Latte priced at Rs. 79 . He turned back to me and said  Do u know I can 10 good coffees  with that money ?  I have seen my dad take us to fancy restaurants and pay hefty checks. I couldn't figure out why he couldn't cross the coffee day mental barrier. Now I know , when you work your ass off earning that money, you think before spending it.   Now tell me how do you manage to spend so much of your parents money with such nonchalance ? Our generation has a very bad spending habit . Spending 3K at Hard Rock Cafe on weekend is just not done. This lack of life skills is one serious flaw with this generation.

Let's see what we have got in our favour.  Have you ever talked to your mom about things that do no concern you. If you have you would notice that their generation is a lot more bitter about people. There is too much bitching behind relatives' back and there is too much jealously. They just cannot accept the fact that others could also be blessed with good fortunes. Our generation has let go off the blood relative concept and adapted a more comfort oriented approach. We are friends with people we like. What we are today is the result of who we chose to be friends with . Today I can go to Hyderabad and stay there with my friends for 10 days without having to feel uncomfortable ( Thank you Tiwari,Ashwini and JP ) . Can you imagine staying  with relatives who you don't meet often ?  That's something our generation has to be credited with.  One more thing our generation has to be credited with is we accept people as they are. Yes we also judge , we also scrutinize and criticize but not in a serious kind of way. To me this mutual respect  for each other  is the highlight of our generation.

Our dads ,moms .uncles and aunties may not say it ,but they feel superior inside .They consider us inferiors. They think we are lucky that we get high paying jobs and we blow our money. They don't regard us as equals.This is the reason why most parents object to love marriages. They do not trust the guy or the girl as an individual. Arranged marriage is a combined package with groom ,property,relatives and money. That's why parents prefer arranged marriages. I accept ,our generation is a little careless with things but are not missing the bigger picture in life. The purpose of life is to be happy and that is what our generation is trying to do .The earlier generation can learn a lot more from us than we can do from them .  So for now  Let's pretend nothing is wrong with out generation .

P.S : Odd years have never been good to  me. So I don't have my hopes high for this new year. Wish you all a wonderful 2011.

Cheers :)

25 comments:

gemini speaketh!! said...

brilliant post!

Satwinder Singh said...

Nice post. However there are pros and cons of both generations.

You have mentioned most of the pros of the younger generation. Here are some of the cons:

1) Too hasty: Rush into taking decisions before giving a 2nd thought.

2) Too casual: Kuch bhi hoga, hum kar lenge type of attitude.

3) Too Risky[as you mentioned]: Includes Drug Addiction, Smoking, Drinking, Unsafe Sex, Breaking Traffic Rules, etc.

Great going as usual. :)

आशुतोष की कलम said...

Nicepost

keep it up

vicky said...

the part about the prvious generation nt being able to accept other's successes is vry true.. insightful post :)

Praveen said...

@ manjusha ,ashu and vicky - thank you

@ satwinder - thank you , yahaan pe i am just trying to see who has a greater chance of a fulfilling life..

sherin said...

heyy.. nice post.. though i doubt if we r less bitter to people than our parents.. Atleast we wud be able to find a good no. of exceptns to that rule.. right??
Keep up the good work:)

badmovies said...

"u stole the words from my mouth"
bgm : MADDY MADDY....

vaseey said...

Trust me, we dont have to "assume" yu re smart after yu wrote this. this post speaks for itself :) nice one n have a great new year da

harini said...

sudden a serious agitta! very different from the usual posts, i did not like the no humour part but this one made me think :)

Chirag said...

its all a matter of perspective mate.

Kushal Arora said...

Nice post and a real good point... that purpose of life is not to earn become big or something.. its really simple to be happy!!!

Really liked the point that e choose our friends and truly present generation as I see is really lot less bitter than the previous one.. but maybe it has something to do with age!!!

Sri said...

Once again a nice post da!

Regards,
Sriram

Yatin said...

This is too good man, I can totally relate myself to this entire post !
Brilliant stuff

Praveen said...

@ sherin - thank u, there are a number of exceptions but as a whole we are not the bitter kind.. :)

@ yaswanth - maybe our powercut conversations put this idea into my mind :P

@ vaseey - thnx machan..u too have a wonderful 2011

@ harini - I m honoured that i can make u 'think '

@ chirag - agreed.. something like the four blind men and the elephant story..

@ zombie - glad you liked it :)

@ sriram - mikka nanri

@ yatin - thank you.. means a lot coming from you :)

poorni said...

Best thing about this blog is its not one dimensional. You've just validated my point with this post. Keep exploring. Good luck and a happy new year

Unknown said...

I'd sit and laugh when your son has a blog of his own.. :)

suraj said...

superb post!, loved it all the way....nice topic too, and c'mon in the previous generation the crime rate was less owing primarily to their lifestyle choices... our generation isn't perfect, but neither is the earlier generation. again great post.

VIVEK VK JAIN said...

nice blog.....
i like ur both posts.

Praveen said...

@ poorni , suraj and viv - thank you :)

@ umesh - en indha kolaveri ?

a said...

"Our generation has let go off the blood relative concept and adapted a more comfort oriented approach. We are friends with people we like. What we are today is the result of who we chose to be friends with . Today I can go to Hyderabad and stay there with my friends for 10 days without having to feel uncomfortable. Can you imagine staying with relatives who you don't meet often ?"

this is the clincher of the post and i totally agree. friends matter more than most of the relatives.

a nice perspective which has been out across beautifully. enjoyed this post a lot :)

Ashwini .... said...

well said.... we might be careless for ourselves but can teach the ppl out there to care about others !!!

we might be in rush at times ,but the rush is not to race someone behind !!

and yeah u are always welcome to Hyderabad. It was nice to have that long night chat. :)

Anonymous said...

marriage must be on ur mind a lot...cnsidering u kip comin back to it..i sympathise. nice post btw :)

Praveen said...

@ aruna - consultant eh sollitaanga.. appana post nalla daan iruku pola..

@ ashwini - It was very nice to catch up with you ppl..

@ moushumi - I 'm just catering to my audience .. nothing personal :P

Mohsin said...

machi... gud post...! but somehow some of the posts u make happen to be parts of experiences i had/am having.. is it ok if i can ask u what is ur call on arranged-cum-love marriages?? i'm sure that has to be less painful than love marriages...!! right?!?

Show you said...

This is how 2015 became my magic I have played the online games especially the wow for a long time and I have some good suggestions
for everyone to get the bestWorld Of Warcraft Goldvia more easy and
safe ways, I also have the best advice for you of the Buy World Of Warcraft Gold, please don't hesitate !number.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...